The Plaza opened in February 1936 with a seating capability of 1,176 in stalls and circle. It was designed in an artwork deco model by famous Bristol primarily based cinema architect William Henry Watkins.
Built for an area firm, it was acquired by the Jackson Withers Circuit of Cardiff in 1943. The proscenium was 34 toes broad, there have been three dressing rooms and a restaurant and ballroom above the doorway lobby.
The Plaza was then taken over by the Rank Organization in 1976/seventy seven who utilized for a bingo license which was refused. A suggestion to buy the cinema by the Cornwall based mostly WTW Group was turned down in March 1977, the constructing finally being acquired by a Somerset businessman who added a second display screen within the cafe space seating one hundred seventy five.
20 years after that they had opened preliminary negotiations to buy The Plaza, WTW Cinemas acquired the freehold of the premises in could 1997 and instantly started an intensive reconstruction and refurbishment of the constructing. The modernization programmer enabled The Plaza to reopen on tenth July 1998, with patrons exhibiting their approval with attendance ranges exceeding expectations.