Cornwall Council has revealed that it is aware of seven early years, education or further education settings in the county which have confirmed Covid-19 cases.
The authority also says that currently 1.2 per cent of schoolchildren in Cornwall are absent due to Covid-19.
That equates to approximately 500 children but includes those who are self-isolating as part of ‘their bubble’ and those who are self-isolating and awaiting a test.
Sally Hawken, Cabinet member for children and families, said: “We are aware of confirmed cases in schools and the process we have is public health work with the schools and they inform the relevant parents when a confirmed case is known.”
The councillor said that information is only released to parents once a positive case has been confirmed by a lab test.
She added: “There are seven cases we are aware of in early years, education and further education settings.
“We also know that 1.2 per cent of children are currently absent from school due to Covid. Approximately 500 children who are isolating as part of their bubble or are waiting for a test result.”
The information comes after a confirmed case was revealed at Penair School in Truro with more than 20 students told to stay at home for 14 days and self-isolate.
And on Monday the entire year eight group at Camborne Science and International Academy were sent home after a pupil tested positive for Covid-19.
Other schools and settings have not be identified by the council.
Students at the Camborne campus of Cornwall College were also told to stay at home last week after a classmate tested positive.