CORNWALL and the Isles of Scilly continues to see a small rise in coronavirus cases.
As of Saturday night there had been 896 confirmed coronavirus cases in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, an increase of two on the previous day.
However, Sunday’s NHS England figures confirmed that the number of coronavirus deaths in Cornwall’s hospitals remains at 91, a figure that has not risen since July 2.
Previous to that, the total had not increased since June 2.
Earlier this week the Office for National Statistics, which has been collating data for hospitals, care homes and the wider community, confirmed that the total number of deaths for Cornwall had risen by one on a week previous, to 205.
Sunday’s NHS England figures show that, across England, a further 15 people who tested positive for coronavirus (Covid-19) have died, bringing the total number of confirmed reported deaths in hospitals in England to 29,066.
Patients were aged between 72 and 96 years old. One patient, aged 96 years, had no known underlying health conditions, NHS England said.
Their families have been informed.
One new death in the south west as a whole was registered in Sunday’s NHS England update.
In today’s coronavirus news:
Covid-19 is ‘not under control’ and rates of the virus are actually accelerating, according to the head of the World Health Organisation (WHO).
Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO Director-General, said the total number of cases of coronavirus around the world has doubled in the last six weeks.
The first recipient of the High Sheriff of Cornwall’s Unsung Hero Award has been announced.
Sally Ackerley of the White Gold Cornwall Foundation was presented with her award by the High Sheriff, Kate Holborow, in Camborne on Thursday.
Have you transformed your garden during lockdown?
If so, the Packet wants to hear from you.
We’re planning to run a feature later in the month in the newspaper and online, showcasing the best lockdown gardens from around the area.
The coronavirus pandemic has caused travel mayhem this year, forcing many UK residents to cancel or postpone their holidays.
While travelling abroad is now permitted, the return of cruise holidays isn’t likely to be on the cards any time soon.
During lockdown, we have all had to change our lifestyles and make great sacrifices in our day-to-day lives to stop the spread of coronavirus.
Thousands of businesses have been forced to close, and the pandemic has delivered the fastest, deepest economic shock in history.
However, restrictions are now easing and a new survey conducted by JPIMedia has revealed what people have missed the most during lockdown.
Major UK chains including Nando’s, Burger King and Pizza Hut have signed up for the new “Eat Out to Help Out” scheme.
Chancellor Rishi Sunak unveiled the scheme this week to give diners a 50 per cent discount off their bills during August.