Coronavirus in Cornwall round up: Friday, June 26

THE number of deaths due to coronavirus in Cornwall’s hospitals has remained static in Friday’s NHS England figures.

The total remains at 90, a number that has not risen since June 2.

Earlier this week the Office for National Statistics said that deaths in all settings, including hospitals, care homes and the wider community, had stayed at 203, having not risen since the previous Tuesday.

Across England a further 67 people who tested positive for coronavirus (Covid-19) have died, bringing the total number of confirmed reported deaths in hospitals in England to 28,557.

Patients were aged between 52 and 98 years old. One patient, aged 86, had no known underlying health conditions, NHS England said.

Their families have been informed.

In the south west as a whole four new deaths have been registered.

As of Thursday night there had been 594 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, out of a population of 571,802.

The number of cases has not risen since the weekend.

In today’s coronavirus news:

Health Secretary Matt Hancock has warned that the government can close beaches if people continue to flout safety rules.

Mr Hancock told Talk Radio yesterday (Thursday) that the government will take action if social distancing measures are ignored, as thousands flocked to the south coast on the hottest day of the year.

Read the full story here.

Social workers have continued to support vulnerable children and their families across Cornwall during the pandemic to ensure that no one is left behind.

They have adapted their ways of working and embraced new technology to create a new normal, whilst ensuring that isolated individuals receive the contact they need.

Read the full story here.

Children from across Cornwall have taken part in their first ever virtual music festival.

Hubbub, which is organised by Cornwall Music Education Hub, part of Cornwall Council, featured workshops on beatboxing as well as musical styles from around the world.

Read the full story here.

Travellers could be jetting off abroad on quarantine-free summer holidays soon – with the UK Government set to announce so-called ‘air bridges’ to popular destinations.

Read the full story here.